If you are looking for a perfect and nutritious side dish, look no further!! These green lentils are the perfect companion to any dish, from soups to salads and even as a complete meal. Just add some salt or season it to your liking and you will have a nutritious and healthy meal to go. Grown in the beautiful fields of Kruisem, Belgium. The green lentils are grown by farmer Simon, who produces amazing quality organic grains and pulses. This way we can ensure you the best quality, and of course the best taste to your doorstep!!
There are so many varieties of lentils, but this one is truly one that you don't want to miss tasting, it has a pepper-like aftertaste. And whilst eating them you will enjoy the taste of natural and pure lentils, as all pesticides and conservatives are avoided thanks to organic practices.
Lentils with a unique scent that will remind you of wet grass and white pepper. And don't worry, storage will not be an issue with these Lentils, these beautiful marbled kernels combine green and black colors and makes you want to display them in your kitchen as a unique item.
Complete product details
At a glance:
- Grown in Kruisem, Belgium
- Rich in fiber, proteins, and minerals
- Lentil variety: Anicia
- Organic Certified
- Rich in flavour
- Easy to use and can be included in many recipes
- 1.25kg fits in our 1.5L clip-top jar
- Packaging: Recycled paper
- Produced by: Simon Colembie
- Certificates: Vega Plan Certification - Organic Certificate
- Field Objective: Organic cultivation of specialty grains.
- Processed by: Simon Colembie / On-Farm
- Transportation method: Transporter van
- Bulk Storage: Recyclable Kraft paper bag
The lentils can contain a few camelina seeds as the crop is supported by the Camelina Sativa, known from our Camelina oil.
- It is recommended to rinse the lentils using a fine mesh sieve before cooking.
- Transfer the lentils to a small saucepan and add water. Use 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of Lentils
- Bring water to a rapid simmer on medium-high heat and close of with a lid. Let it simmer for 18-20 Minutes. Check regularly to avoid getting mushy lentils.
- You can season your lentils depending on your recipe or the flavour you are trying to achieve. You can try seasoning them with our Camelina oil, lemon juice, vinegar and fresh herbs for a fresh salad or just add some salt and eat them on their own to enjoy the pure taste of our lentils.
- You can also add lentils to soups and salads. For other recipes, check our Recipe Page.
Note: Cooked lentils can be refrigerated in a container for up to 4 days
The perfect substitute for meat dishes, as these lentils are packed with proteins, carbs, Iron, and even anti-oxidants. We highly recommend including these in your diet!
This product may contain traces of gluten.
|Nutritional value||Per 100 gram||Per portion (50 g)||RI*|
|Energy||1477kJ (352 kcal)||739 kJ (176 kcal)|
|Of which saturated||0.2||g||0.1||g|
|Of which sugars||1||g||0.5||g|
*Reference intake of an average adult ( 8400 kJ/2000 kcal) per 100gr
Often, pulses (also called legumes) are grown outside of Europe. This does not only matter with regard to transport emissions, but pulses are also important to have in every country's cultivation landscape. The legume plant has a particular symbiosis with soil bacteria that fixates nitrogen from the air and makes it available for the plant to be taken up. If this crop is more commonly grown in northern Europe, we can grow this crop, but even crops following the next year without adding external (chemical) inputs.
Shipping emissions are reduced as farm to Ekoto shipments are in bulk and often combined with other planned trips and the lentils come from the fields in Flanders, Belgium.
Simon is a young farmer who had put the farm into transition to organic as soon as he took over the farm from his parents. The fields got transitioned in phases and now, years later he has grown into a specialist with regard to growing organic grains and pulses. Simon likes to try out new things and to vertically integrate his farm to keep the supply chain as short as possible. He recently constructed a cleaning facility on-site, so that the produce leaves the farm straight to the Ekoto warehouse.